In cooperation with the universities DeIC aim to establish a national Competence Center to ensure the spread of eScience in Denmark..
Especially in the humanities and social sciences area, but also within the scientific and technical field, it is estimated that there is generally a huge untapped potential to achieve research results through the use of eScience.
The task of the Competence Center will be to gather information about and examples of eScience, nationally and internationally and coordinate the dissemination of this knowledge nationally and ensure assistance for researchers to get started with eScience projects.
Activities autumn 2013
During the autumn of 2013, DeIC launches a series of activities to promote the establishment of a national Competence Center.
As part of this process, DeIC in dialogue with current and potential users of eScience will clarify:
What types of questions should a national DeIC Competence Centre receive?
- What activities should be carried out at national level and how do we ensure cooperation with local competence centers at universities and research institutions?
The clarification will provide the framework for the resources DeIC should give priority to solve the task to the users satisfaction.
- An open invitation to researchers to contact DeIC with questions about getting started or get on with eScience.
- An outreach efforts with the aim to identify examples of areas / cases where assistence is needed
- Collect knowledge of current eScience activities in Denmark.
- Establish a national collaboration on the identification of opportunities for skills development of researchers in eScience, including clarification of the need for seminars, introductory courses and special courses or web-based services.
- An identification of similar international initiatives
Special focus on the humanities and social sciences
The Competence Center will have a special focus on reaching new users of eScience in the humanities and social sciences. It should be clarified which initiatives should be launched to reach them, and understand their special needs in using eScience?
DeIC will cooperate with a number of partners, who also have activities in the area, eg.:
- DigHumLab (www.dighumlab.dk)
- the Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen (http://hum.ku.dk/).
Contact Helle Meldgaard, if you have initiatives in the area, and would like to be part of the collaboration.
Organization of a national Competence Center
More universities have initiatives to establih local eScience Competence Centers. DeIC will work togheter with these local initiatives about contributions to the national level.
A substantial knowledge about the use of high performance computing (HPC) in a research context exists in the local HPC centers. This knowledge should be brought to use both locally and nationally.
In connection with the establishment of a national HPC facility, a HPC Change Advisory Board (CAB) will be set up to coordinate between researchers, DeIC and universities within both the national exploitation of HPC facilities and the establishment and coordination of the competence center.
HPC CAB is set up by DeIC on the recommendations of the universities with a view to an appropriate distribution of academic area and geography.
Do you wish to contribute to the establishment of a national DeIC Competence Center, you can contact project manager Helle Meldgaard.
DeIC uses the following defintions for eScience, e-Infrastructure and datamanagement:
Collection, processing and use of scientific information in data form.
Saving data, data architecture and data security.
Scientific tools and facilities based on computer technologies, data collection, transport and storage of data electronically, data processing and tools for visualization and simulation. The main features of e-Infrastructures are electronic networks and dedicated grid facilities, high-performance computer facilities and data bases.
(*Tranlated from the definition in the Danish Roadmap for Research Infrastructures 2011, Danish Agency for Science, Technology and Innovation)