The mandate of DeiC is partly based on an agreement signed by the rectors of the eight Danish universities. The current mandate expires by the end of 2016.
The vision, mission and tasks of DeiC are defined in the agreement as well as in the statutes formulated by the Danish Agency for Science, Technology and Innovation.
The national mandate of DeiC makes it necessary to have a close working relationship with the universities and the users. Other stakeholders participating actively in Danish research may participate in the DeiC cooperation.
The Board has reviewed the strategy for the period of 2014-2018.
DeiC, in cooperation with the institutions, makes eScience accessible for all relevant Danish research environments through coordination and delivery of e-infrastructures and guidance, in order to obtain national synergy in the area.
DeiC meets the need for e-infrastructures of Danish researchers.
- DeiC strengthens the collaboration and ongoing knowledge sharing between Danish research institutions in the eScience area and facilitates relevant international collaboration.
- DeiC contributes to coherence and synergy in the eScience area and contributes to an efficient national use of resources.
- DeiC contributes to Danish research by establishing e-infrastructures that meet the highest international standards.
- DeiC takes initiatives and formulates and implements strategies, to contribute to a sustainable development of eScience in Denmark
- DeiC develop new instruments that can handle the challenges around HPC-facilities, network connections, data storage, security, identity management as well as guidance and education of new users.
- DeiC establishes a national and broad-based center of competence for inspiration and knowledge transfer around eScience.
- DeiC works for an appropriate public-private cooperation
- DeiC ensures a stable operative delivery of e-infrastructure (such as HPC-facilities, network connections, data storage, security and identity management)
DeiC Strategic Goals
To realize DeiCs vision and mission, and solve the strategic tasks, the Board has defined six strategic goals, defining the actions DeiC will focus on in the period.
- Ensure a national development of e-infrastructures according to international standards
- Ensure establishment of relations and e-infrastructures for international collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Increase the use of eScience
- Maintain and further develop a funding platform for research e-infrastructures
- Coordinate solutions around data management and large data amounts
- Ensure that DeiCs activities are known and widely used
DeiC uses the following definitions for eScience and e-Infrastructure:
Collection, processing and use of scientific information in data form.
e-Infrastructure for Research:
(*Definition from Danish Roadmap for Research Infrastructures 2011, Agency for Science, Technology and Innovation, translated by DeiC)