Data management is the discipline that concerns itself with rules and procedures for data.
It is important to ensure the quality of research data in order to avoid for example cheating or plagiarism, and at the same time ensure the possibility that new research can build on existing knowledge.
In the slightly longer run, the intention is that data can be shared smoothly across borders and subject areas, thereby making it possible to utilize already known data for new research. The purpose of good data management is to ensure that data is managed well enough in the present and is prepared for long-term preservation and use.
To achieve this vision, the starting point is FAIR data, where data meets the principles of findability, accessibility, interoperability and reusability (FAIR). DeiC acts as the advisory and coordinating body in the data management work based on the Strategy for national cooperation on digital research infrastructure, prepared by the Danish universities and the Ministry of Education and Research (UFM). All eight Danish universities are involved in the work of implementing the goals of the strategy.
The work includes pilot and professional projects as well as information, advice and communication about data management, for example:
- Metadata 4 Machines (in collaboration with GO FAIR) to help researchers structure metadata so that computers can automatically find relevant research data.
- Consolidation of the Danish Research Data Alliance node - also known as DK-RDA - which is a significant international network for stakeholders in research data management.
- Strengthening the collaboration with the Coordinating Unit for Register Research (KOR), Knowledge Exchange (KE) and DataCite.
- Establishment of a Data Stewardship competence center.
- Coordinate the DM Advisory Forum, which is an advisory forum in DeiC that aims to increase dialogue and user involvement in the development of digital infrastructure.
- Guidelines, inspiration and help for researchers in connection with the preparation of data management plans.
- Contribution to the EOSC (European Open Science Cloud) work with a focus on working groups in the EOSC-Nordic project.
- Development and maintenance of FAIR e-learning modules.
DeiC also offers two data management-related services:
- Sciencedata.dk - online data storage and synchronization service to securely share and work with active research data and store large datasets.
- FileSender - web-based application for securely sending files that are too large to be attached to common mail clients.
If you need further information about data management, you can contact the following contacts: